Saturday 26 September 2020

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace


 Recent Activity

Do you like reading and/or cult British comedy shows and horror? If so, you might have the time to leaf through this incredibly long critical study I wrote on the spoof horror series Garth Marenghi's Darkplace (2004), which has been published by Horrified Magazine. Titled – with tongue partly in cheek! – "Hell Hath Fury: The 'horror illuminatum' of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace", the essay aims to explore the potential influences and ways in which genre and horror fiction are used and referenced as part of the show's conception and delivery. You can read it here.


Garth Marenghi's Darkplace [Richard Ayoade, 2004]:

Writing this has occupied quite a bit of my free time over the last couple of weeks, so I'm hoping now to get back into the habit of updating the blog as regularly as I'm able to. I've noticed that since blogger changed its interface recently, the font sizes for some of my older posts have been affected. The text on some posts is now incredibly small, as small as footnotes! I'm hoping to fix some of these issues shortly, mostly because they irritate my OCD. The text on "Darkplace" is a bit of a long ramble, so it's much appreciated if you do take the time to look at it. Stay safe.

Eve's Bayou

Eve's Bayou [Kasi Lemmons, 1997]: A tremendous feature debut from actor turned writer and director Kasi Lemmons. The mood here is slow a...