Thursday 27 October 2022

My MUBI Archive

And other dalliances'

As recent as two days ago, there was no need or necessity for me to return to Lights in the Dusk. I was happy enough updating my film log and posting my short comments to MUBI, while concentrating the rest of my spare time to trying (and largely failing) to write short fiction. However, continual interference from the MUBI management, as well as their on-going lack of respect for users, has forced me to seek other outlets. Since I don't like Letterboxd or IMDb (for both personal and aesthetic reasons) I'm looking back to the blog to provide the answer.

In the last six months, MUBI has removed the news feed, the discover section and now the ability to comment on other people's reviews (or blurbs, as some users refer to them - I call it "micro-criticism.") This has effectively destroyed the social aspect of the site, making it increasingly difficult to keep track of what other users are watching and discussing. Worse, many users (myself included) would use the comment section as an overspill for our reviews. As such, large parts of our reviews have been deleted from the site without warning.
 
 
Lights in the Dusk at MUBI:

 
Many users feel that it's only a matter of time before the review and user profiles are removed completely, and like every other change to the site, this will be done without word or warning. Because of this, there's a renewed urgency on my part to return to Lights in the Dusk, if only as an outlet to preserve many of the comments and criticisms that I've published on MUBI during the past twelve years.

I'll be posting these short notes (or "micro-criticism") over the coming months, and might even try to expand some of them into longer considerations - although the intention is mostly to create an archive of posts as part of the blog.

Also, please note that I've recently changed the design of the blog. Because I'd used custom text (as I copied all my old posts here from word documents) the color of the font on many posts is now too pale to read. I'm currently having to go through every post made between 2014 and 2021 to change the color of the font and reformat the posts, which will take a long time to complete. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Eve's Bayou

Eve's Bayou [Kasi Lemmons, 1997]: A tremendous feature debut from actor turned writer and director Kasi Lemmons. The mood here is slow a...