Thursday 28 May 2020

Writer's Block


I have to admit, I'm really tired. Not physically tired as such, just mentally. As a result, I haven't felt hugely inspired of late. I was hoping I could maintain the same pace of updates as earlier in the year, but the Covid-19 crisis has disrupted my day-to-day routine to such an extent that it's difficult to maintain a grasp on things. It all seems pointless now.

For the first time in years I feel like I'm back to where I was a decade ago, when depression robbed me of the ability to do creative things. I always wanted this blog to be as popular and prolific as the other blogs I follow, but for the most part I couldn't write or structure my thoughts. It was like trying to maneuver the words through a thick fog and the words were dissolving as I tried to slot them into place. Just attempting to write something would give me aheadache with the clutter and stress of it all. That's where I am right now. Back down the ladder.

I've been trying to remain busy on MUBI, writing small capsule reviews or "micro criticism", so if you're an active user over there, maybe stop by for a look. I'm also on Letterboxd.





I also think I'm becoming disillusioned with blogger, but this may be a discussion to have at a later date when I'm better able to structure my thoughts, and also when I'm not feeling so burnt out. Sometimes I just feel as if my time could perhaps be better spent writing a book or something that could be read and enjoyed by a wide audience, and that could potentially be something that might lead to a career that's sustainable? Again, I don't know.

Eve's Bayou

Eve's Bayou [Kasi Lemmons, 1997]: A tremendous feature debut from actor turned writer and director Kasi Lemmons. The mood here is slow a...