Friday 13 March 2020

The Film Map

The History of Popular Film Set to the Art of Cartography

I have a few bits of writing that are almost finished. Hopefully, I'll be able to post them soon, it's just a case of finding a few quiet hours to really look at them and make some necessary final edits. Things have been hectic this past week and fears of Coronavirus have disrupted my regular routine, leaving me feeling anxious. I'm trying to remain rational, but it's one of those things where you can only hope it goes away quickly and we can all get back to normality, or whatever that might be.

To pass the time between posts, I thought I'd share some images from my "Film Map" (not to be confused with filmap, the great tumblr blog that compares location images from films with their real life counterparts ripped from Google maps). I received this map a couple of years ago as a present, but I only recently got around to displaying it on the wall. A shame really, as it was a perfect gift for a movie lover like me and has now taken pride of place in our living room.



It's interesting to think of the cinema as a physical space, like a city, country, or even the world itself. Would certain regions become tourist destinations – playgrounds for the rich elites and subject of countless articles and new stories – while others would become ghettoized, like places the guides and magazines tell you to avoid, but are nonetheless full of danger, intrigue and adventure? If my taste in cinema was a city, what would it look like I wonder? Would it be as eclectic and diverse in its layout as the one pictured here, or would it be more rigid or regimented? It's something to think about.



As a game, see how many of your favourite films you can spot, hidden away along the avenues and intersections, down the highways and byways, or across the streets and bridges. I couldn't photograph the whole thing, just enough to give you a sufficient overview.

Eve's Bayou

Eve's Bayou [Kasi Lemmons, 1997]: A tremendous feature debut from actor turned writer and director Kasi Lemmons. The mood here is slow a...